thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Friday, July 25

SKOKIE; STARBUCKS; CHEESECAKE FACTORY & BOOK THOUGHT

I'm sitting in Starbucks in Skokie, IL and this "older" woman with big hair is walking around with a Frappuccino in her hand asking, "Is this cold? I don't drink coffee cold." I'm just curious why she would think that something called a "FRAPPUCCINO" would be a "typical" coffee drink in the first place.

Anywho...

I'm on a day and a half break in Skokie w/ family. Skokie is actually a pretty nice place. The Old Orchard mall is nice. Amanda is happy - she found a pair of $80 jeans for $14. My Visa card is happy about that too.

Had dinner last night at Cheescake Factory. All I can about that place is: HUGE MENU!!!!! I've been there a million times now and every time I go I get overwhelmed as I sit and stare at the menu. That menu sends me into sensory overload and my A.D.D. kicks in full gear. Then it's all over.

On a "reading" note... I started re-reading a great book last night entitled, Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman, Annie McKee, Richard E. Boyatzis. It's a Harvard Business School Press book. Talks about how emotions are at the heart of effective leadership. Lots of practical advice backed up by strong research.

I read this about a year and a half ago and it's amazing how when you are at a different place in life/leadership how you can pull out a totally different aspect from a book.

More later...

|