thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Sunday, August 31

CHICAGO JAZZ FEST & SHISHLEEK

This one has to be quick. My alarm will be going off in about 5 hours.

Went to Chicago Jazz Festival tonight in downtown Grant Park. Sat and listened to Elvin Jones and his "Jazz Machine". We had a hard time finding somewhere to sit. Our first spot was nice, but the marijuana smoke was bothering my eyes so we went to the beer tent and found a seat. Jones is a 78 year old drummer who pulls together his band in a way that earns him the title "legend".

Afterwards, my friend Kevin and I shot uptown to the Andersonville neighborhood and had dinner at Reza's Restaurant. We enjoyed some fine Mediterranean fare - specifically the Shishleek. The menu describes it as "One skewer of char-broiled juice big chunk of filet mignon, served with grilled onions, tomatoes, green peppers and Persian white rice." Instead of the white rice, I had the dill rice - which was a little bit overbearing in the dill department. (Hint: Dill Rice will generally taste like dill.) But the ambeince was fantastic. The front of the restaurant was wide open (floor to ceiling doors which were opened all the way) - and all of you in Chicago know the great evening it was in the weather department tonight. The music was great - jazzy strings.

Well now I have to go to bed. Goodnight.

PS - For those of you who don't know me well, for the sake of clarification, the marijuana smoke was not my own...

|