thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Thursday, June 24

Empty

My posting lately has been lame. I'm not sure why, but I almost feel like my ability to write is completely gone. I don't know what it is, but almost every time I sit down at my computer to write, my mind feels empty and dry.

It would probably do me good to shut my computer off for a couple of days and just read more. Unfortunately, this cursed machine called a computer draws me away from my reading more than I like. I am typically always reading a book, but lately I've started about 3 books and haven't finished any of them (with the exception of a Seth Godin book that I read a few weeks ago...).

I'm sort of in the mood to read a good historical narrative. One of the best historical books I've ever read is a book entitled, Undaunted Courage written by Stephen Ambrose. It's a book about Louis & Clark and their journey west. The accounts in this book reminded me of my days in the Royal Rangers (kidding...).

A couple of years ago, I read the book When Character Was King by Peggy Noonan. It's a biography on the life of Ronald Reagan. Peggy is a great writer and her Wall Street Journal editorials can be found here.

I'm currently about half way through Anne Lamott's book, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. At the rate I'm reading this one I should have it completed by mid 2009.

So people, I apologize for the "lack of" good posts. Maybe it's time to bring in a guest blogger. Anyone interested?


|