thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Friday, October 1

Is God A Republican?

**I typically stay away from politics on my blog. And I will hold to that as far as my personal opinion of candidates are concerned. BUT - this is bothering me, so I wanted to get it off my chest and even perhaps generate more comments than normal. (Joke...)**

I received an email today with a list of Biblical scripture verses on it and above the scriptures was a note asking people to "pray these scriptures" over President Bush and the upcoming Presidential debates.

So does this mean that God is a Republican?

Don't get me wrong. I believe in praying for those in authority and in positions of leadership; but this prayer is based on the assumption that God is "for" Bush and "against" Kerry.

Something about this doesn't seem right to me - regardless of my own personal political beliefs.

This is one more example of how the church (referring to the "modern" church I guess...) assumes that we have God completely figured out - even politically. And somehow, it turns out that He looks a lot like a midwestern, middle class, Republican.

What if God is a Democrat? For one, "Depends" (the adult diapers) would increase in sales overnight thanks to the Evangelical community.

Maybe our prayer should be something like this, "God, since you have the power to put the right person in place to lead our nation, I ask you to personally lead ME as I vote and please help others to make the right decision too. Amen."

Psalm 75:6-7
For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.

|