thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Wednesday, January 19

Leadership Triangle



"One of the things I've learned is that sometimes words have consequences you don't intend them to. 'Bring 'em on' is a classic example."
President George W. Bush

First of all, kudos to President Bush for being willing to admit a mistake. It's good to know that the president of the US is still "learning." So maybe it IS ok that I don't have it all figured out yet...

Secondly, his statement reminds me of the old "leadership triangle" illustration that basically says, "The higher up you go in leadership, the less 'rights' you have."

Ouch. That concept hurts.

Think about a triangle. It's wide at the bottom and narrow at the top. The "higher up" your role in leadership, the less "right" you have to lose your temper, say things you shouldn't say, react negatively, etc...

What a contrast in thought compared to the "old school" management practices that said, "I'm at the top so I can treat everyone the way that I want to." True statement, but unfortunately this mindset brings with it consequences which will eventually kill morale and cause you to lose your best talent.

|