thoughts/ideas/opinions from scott hodge

Tuesday, August 3

What is a Slider?



A few of you have asked the question, “What is a slider?”, in reference to this post.

A "slider" is a slang term used to refer to the small and unique hamburgers served at the popular Midwestern fast food chain, White Castle.

Aside from being raised on these things (my mom used to blend sliders and put them in my bottle…), there is a certain craving that I, along with countless numbers of other people become cursed with during a full moon and usually late at night. (Which is why most of them are open 24 hours a day.)

A White Castle hamburger is not fried, it is steamed. And it is steamed with a white bun and (freeze dried) onions on top of it. The steamed onions flavor the bun in weird sort of way. The best part are the pickles. If they forget the pickles, you might as well not even bother with them.

This brings back memories of being a kid and having my face smashed up against the glass in White Castle watching these people make my food. I was too young to care about the person (and their hygiene) making the burgers at this point in my life. But now, in my older and more mature years, there is a reason why I have a “drive through only” policy in regards to White Castle. I enjoy them too much to stop eating there, and I don’t want to ruin it all by watching people make them.

(On a side note: One weird thing… I’ve never known anyone who actually worked at White Castle. I know people who have worked at every other fast food chain in the United States – but none from White Castle. Where do these people come from?)

Anyway… You either like them or you don’t. My wife won’t touch one. I will touch many. My 4 year old is afraid of them, but will eat them if I make her.

PS – I’m still not totally sure why they call them “Sliders” – I think it has something to do with the digestion process after eating a few of these.

For more on White Castle, check out this article: 30 Things to Know About White Castle

|